Sunday, May 26, 2013

My completely un-informed and non-scientific ideas about global warming

It seems that global warming has become a hot topic once again.  Apparently some group of scientists got together and 33% of them expressed an opinion on whether global warming is happening, and of those, 97% thinks it is.  Or at least, this is what I have gathered from facebook.

It seems to me that in the last 100-150 years, we have drastically increased the amount of nasty stuff we send floating off into the air, and it makes sense that we are harming the environment in some way, so it would not surprise me if human-caused global warming is happening.  You pretty much can't deny that exhaust fumes aren't exactly awesome for the air.  I remember being in 7th grade, and going on a trip to Disneyland where we flew into LAX.  We stepped outside, and I looked up wanting to drink in the sun...but the sky looked kind of brown.  I took a deep breath, and I could TASTE the air.  Blech.  It was that bad.  I tried to see if I could only take like 2 breaths per minute to avoid tasting it again, but that didn't last too long.

I know very little about environmental science, and I know that it's a jump from pollution to global warming.  So I'll just say that I don't know anything but I think global warming is possible.

However, for me in my day-to-day life, it doesn't really matter.  It's kind of like being a Christian and debating about whether creation happened in 7 days or whether the Genesis story is an allegory and God guided the process of evolution.  EITHER WAY, we believe that we were lovingly created by a divine being, right?  How He did it should have basically no bearing in how we worship Him or go about our daily lives.

In the same way, who cares how exactly our lives of waste and excess are affecting the environment--they are affecting it, and we each (me included!) need to think about what changes we can make to live more sustainably.

No comments:

Post a Comment