Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I'm not his perfect match

In less than a year, I am getting married to the love of my life.  And I am not his perfect match.

He is neat as a pin, and likes a place for everything, and everything in its place.  Clutter doesn't really bother me.

His idea of a great night is watching a movie or some TV shows and eating dinner.  Too many nights like this, and I start to fidget, and get stir crazy, and bug him to take me on adventures.

He likes a comfortable, indoor environment, without the hassle of big crowds.  I drag him to big weddings and family get togethers, many of which are outside in the summer heat.

We both like sports; I am grateful that he has become a fan of my Beavers, and I think he is happy to have a fiance who likes sports so much.  However, he prefers to get to the stadium an hour early after a nice, indoor meal.  I like to tailgate with my family for several hours, rain or shine, and get to my seats about 20-30 minutes before kickoff.

Guess what else?  Sometimes we argue.  Presumably comfortable in finally gaining some official-ness or stability in our relationship, our first fight was about 1 week after we first said "I love you."  The first 4-5 months of being together (together 2,000 miles apart!) was trial by fire.  We argued about everything you can think of.  Some of those things were understandable, and some of those things were a little more petty.  (This is for another post, but I actually think this is one of the healthiest things about our relationship.  We were defining our contract, so to speak.)

There are many things I love about my fiance, and there are many things we agree about.  But it is not in spite of not being "perfect matches" that our love and commitment is so strong; it is precisely because of them.

Our relationship has been fun, uplifting, satisfying.  But equally, it has been hard work.  And it should be.  Love does not "feel good" all of the time.  And it shouldn't.  Love should make you more selfless.  Love should make you a better person.  Love should be deeply satisfying, but it is not free of cost.  Because you get what you pay for.


No comments:

Post a Comment